Want to keep a pet?
We welcome responsible pet owners. Before applying to us for permission to keep a pet we recommend that you read our Pet Ownership Guidance leaflet and our pet permission factsheet below:
Pet Ownership Guidance Factsheet
Pet Ownership Guidance Leaflet
If you decide that you would like to keep a pet, please complete the Pet Permission Form in My Account.
Under the Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015 – new laws that were made in February 2015 – it will be compulsory for all dogs over the age of eight weeks to be fitted with microchips from 6 April 2016 – we will only give full permission to keep a dog when proof of micro chipping has been supplied.
Top Ten Tips for Responsible Pet Ownership
From the National Pet Month website.
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6. Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability
Useful contact numbers
Phone (national for general information) 0870 3335 999
24 National Cruelty and Advice Line 0870 5555 999
Address: Dogs Trust, Head Office, 17 Wakley Street, London, EC1V 7RQ
Phone: 020 7837 0006
Phone: 08702 099 099
For more information or assistance on local service or help with cat neutering contact:
Phone: 03000 12 12 12
Address: PDSA Head Office, Whitechapel Way, Priorslee, Telford, Shropshire, TF2 9PQ
Phone: 01952 290 999
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
Address: Belgravia House, 62-64 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2AF
Phone: 020 7222 2001
The Cinnamon Trust
Phone: 01736 757 900
All other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chicken and other birds
'Keeping chickens a beginner's guide'
Details of Vets across the UK