Improvements / Alterations

Before you make any alterations to your home you must write to L&H Homes to obtain permission.  We have to ensure that your home is not damaged or made unsafe.  It is your responsibility to get any planning permission you need, and comply with building regulations.

An alteration is anything that is an addition or change to the property or its gas, electrical, water or drainage supply.

We would expect all improvement works to be carried out by a competent trades person.  All electrical alterations need to be carried out by an NICEIC qualified electrician and you will need to provide us with a copy of the minor works certificate.

We will not give permission for you to carry out gas alterations or gas repairs to your home.

Failure to comply with the above may lead to you being charged to reinstate the works.

Examples of the most common alterations are given below but this list is not meant to be complete and you should ask us for more details before you do any work:

  • Moving/removing fitted units or doors
  • Plumbing in washing machines or other appliances
  • Building patios
  • Knocking down walls
  • Double glazing
  • Extensions, garages and conservatories
  • Satellite dishes
  • Erecting sheds
  • Enclosing porches
  • Additional fencing
  • Electrical Installations - All additional electrical work needs written permission and must be done and certificated by a government-authorised electrical contractor
  • Gas installations - You may only install a gas cooker provided a Gas Safe registered gas engineer does all the work and you haveobtained written permission from us

At the end of your tenancy you may be entitled to compensation for some approved improvements. Please ask for information.